Thursday, January 8, 2009

Thursday January 8, 2009

daunt \dawnt, dahnt\, verb:1. to frighten; overcome with fear 2. to discourage; lessen the courage of
It's not hard for me to write about "daunt" today. I should have known it was going to be one of those days when I woke up this morning. I was SO tired even though I got more sleep than usual. It's just one of those gray winter days that makes it hard to muster an excitement to start the day. I took the kids to school, came home with my coffee and surfed the Internet - my typical morning routine. Usually, the first thing I do is go to cnn.com. Today I was met with this headline looming forebodingly on the screen in giant font: "Obama warns economy may get much worse before it gets better." Honestly, I was kind of hoping we were at rock bottom and it could only be up from here. Frankly, it's hard for me to imagine it getting worse. Maybe it's better other places in the country than it is here. But here, in suburban Detroit, the economy sucks. Honestly it's depressing to be out and about because everywhere you look things are out of business or having huge "going out of business" fire sales. Every other house is for sale with little hope of selling because noone is buying. People generally look like dogs that have been kicked. And this isn't rock bottom? That to me is daunting. I'm cheery today, huh?

No comments: